Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Blank Canvas

My lack of domestic creativity is never more noticed then when we move into a new home. I dream and plan for months on what I would like to do to bring beauty into our home. But when it comes right down to it... well, I call it blank canvas syndrome. It's easier to just leave things blank. No risk. 

That's where I am now and I'm driving myself crazy. As if it's the most important thing in the world. It's not.

This past Sunday night we had our senior high youth group over for a great time of discussion followed by food and football. We LOVE hosting our teens in our home, and it's a dream realized, really. My insecurity loomed about for a few minutes that afternoon before wondering if the bare walls and plain everything would be noticed. That night I got a note from a mom of one of our teens. Her daughter has commented how cozy the house felt, what a great time she had, and how the candle I was burning smelled so amazing. It's small sentences like that - that get me. That's what I want. A cozy home where people feel welcomed, not impressed. Why do I so easily forget that?! 

When we fix our eyes on Jesus and loving His people that should change our perception of what we do with our homes. Not that it's wrong to have big fancy everything - but for us, it's not possible, and I need to be ok with that. Thankful for that, even. The blessing of this home is enough. 

So, I'll piddle and work and eventually family pics will go up and maybe some paint and pretty little things here and there. I want to make a beautiful home for my family. But for now I sure am thankful for the opportunity of the blank canvas - the chance to start again. :) 

No comments: