Saturday, October 10, 2015

.:Autumn Afternoons:.


Despite the temp's reaching back into the 70's and even 80's this week... {bleh} We are enjoying a beautiful autumn. Oh how I love it! Neighbors trees have dropped golden leaves in our yard, I was gifted two beautiful RED mums for my front step, and we picked up our first pumpkin! The colors, the smells, the feel of it all never fails to capture my attention.

It's a laid back Saturday here in Iowa and I've been able to really focus in on enjoying my family and our home. These no-where-to-go Saturdays are small treasures to me. Piddling around in the kitchen, making crafts with the kids, extra baby snuggles - it's all wonderful and most days we are so busy it's easy to miss those moments. Even now as my two youngest sleep it's calm and sunny and watching the trees sway and lose their leaves is perfect! Of course the mug of hot cider was a bonus as well :)

Autumn really is the most wonderful time of the year!

Tonight we'll have some Creamy chicken wild rice soup - my first attempt. It's been simmering away in the crock pot since early this morning and the house smells heavenly. I'm sharing the recipe today because it's SUPER easy, pretty inexpensive to make and I'm hoping will be a crowd pleaser as my kids love rice, chicken and veggies.

What you'll need:
1 c. uncooked wild rice (I'm using aldi's rice blends - red, white, basmati and wild)
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 c chopped onions
3/4 c chopped celery
3/4 c chopped carrots
4-5 cloves minced garlic
2 bay leaves
6 c low sodium chicken broth
2 c water
2 T poultry seasoning** (keep reading down below)
3 T butter
2 T olive oil
1/2 c flour
2 c milk
salt & pepper to taste
 
You aren't supposed to peek, but I can't help it!
Before I include the link to the instructions let me touch on the seasonings. This summer I found this gem in the grocery store and have been using it for so many things. It's awesome in soups, on burgers, ground turkey, etc. So instead of buying poultry seasoning I'm using it. Cavenders! It's salt free, too! 

I found this soup recipe on Little Spice Jar's site. It's super cute and she has some great things there! Go check it out here. Her food photography alone will have you drooling :)

As we get deeper into the autumn season our schedules are full. This year we let our oldest take part in the one day cheer clinic our local high school offers. She practiced one day after school and then the next week she and her little cheer friends performed at the football game. It was cute. My hubby was out of town so it was just me and my three little girls - which, was insane. But we survived and have some cute memories to boot.

These girls are such a gift. Some days they really drive me bonkers but then we have precious new mercies the next day. I'm so thankful for all three of them!

Happy Saturday friends! I hope you have a good one, a calm one, full of warm soup and family and all the wonderful things that make this season so special.
My grandma's soup mugs passed down to me :)

2 comments:

Angie said...

Your girls are so precious! I love Autumn too. For me there is just so cozy and calm about the season! I hope your soup turned out great. You will have to let us know!

becky said...

I love reading your posts...I love that you treasure the simple things of life. 😊. I love that Greek seasoning! We use it on green beans cooked and then broiled in the oven...my kids beg for them and eat them like candy. Enjoy the beautiful fall! I am loving fall mixed w the warm temps. 😀🍁🍂