Sunday, September 27, 2009

Heir I am Lord


This past week I've been listening, reading and learning about what it means to be an HEIR of Christ. On top of that is the list of things that characterizes (or SHOULD) an heir of Christ...and how religion is NOT relationship. Breathe. In case you've forgotten or maybe never heard - did you know that our lives as believers should look like this... (WARNING: CONVICTING)

*Submissive to authority ..(including gov't and anyone in "charge" over you)
*Obedient...(married? ever struggle with that one?!)
*always ready to DO good...(you mean, works still matter? I cant just sit around and be "saved")
*not speak evil of anyone (gulp)
*avoid quarrels, MAKE peace...(but you don't know my....)
*be gentle...(no tough love here)
*show humility to all...(ah geesh)

Now, I don't know about you...but, that seems to be a tall order sometimes. And in my life lately...all the time. However, I have good news. We aren't at it alone - remember how I mentioned the whole "heirs" thing? The same God who gave these words to Paul to give to Titus calls us his children and despite popular opinion... He doesn't set these standards then leave us lying on the ground to figure it out for ourselves. Praise the Lord, He doesn't! I like how the NLT puts our solution to life in Titus 3 -


"But then God our savior showed us His kindness and love. He saved us, not because of the good things we did, but because of His mercy. He washed away our sins and gave us a new life through the Holy Spirit." (vs 4-5)


So, guess what heirs...princes and princesses... we CAN do the above mentioned and we CAN do them well and with the help of our Loving father! And more importantly, we MUST do these things. As I was explaining to my small group of teens tonight - as royalty, heirs to the King, we have every right and expectation to behave the way Titus 3 explains. I have read this passage several times and I don't see any parenthesis that say (optional) on them. We can do this. We can love and serve our King! Be encouraged this week and be ready to say, "Heir I am Lord..."

1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

This is some good (convicting) stuff Mandy! Your teens are lucky to have such a godly small group leader!!

I keep thinking we need to get Lily and Ava together to play! We're super busy this week and next, but what would you think about getting together in a couple of weeks? Let me know! I'm sure you guys have a busy schedule as well!