Friday, May 1, 2015

Midcentury shabby should be a thing.

Happy Friday morning, friends! Another week is in the books and you, like me, are probably ready for a good weekend.

I've been busy around here as April has turned into project month. :) So I'll jump right into sharing what I've been up to. First up: Mid Century Hutch redo.

A few weeks back I found this beauty on Craigslist for $20! It was in worse shape then the ad showed, but it still had descent bones about it. I'm not a huge mid-century fan - I think the pointy legs are weird and all the glossy-weird-70's things kinda creep me out. But, I'm a fan of low-cost projects that I can make into whatever I want. So, much to the chagrin of the people I surveyed for ideas... I decided to paint it.

Here is a before picture and some progress shots.


I sanded it down, removed the legs, got it cleaned up as well as it could be, discovered that the back was a pressed wood board that is crumbling in places {awesome}, sat down and drank another cup of coffee.
First few coats on!
The legs were pretty nicked up so I decided to go ahead and paint them to. Rust-Oleum makes some awesome metallic sprays and I use this bronze color on many things. I thought it would compliment the white paint and it did! 
Spray painted the legs a pretty bronze color
Once the legs were done and the hutch's paint was dry I moved it back so I could see what I was working with. Then I roughed it up with some sandpaper. :) The back of the hutch is this pressed wood - glorified cardboard material that would NOT hold paint. I even tried to sand the crumbling mess. So, plan B was to paint a layer of glue and add some burlap backing to it. Seemed easy enough, and burlap is pretty cheap. I already have several burlap pieces laying around, so it works.
Attached legs and moved in doors

Measuring for the burlap

Burlap applied!
Once the glue dried I was able to start playing around with what will go inside. I have my grandmothers china - that's the final step to this project. It'll be added in eventually, but for now I'm just testing it out with some odds and ends I have. I'm so happy I painted it and roughed it up. Shabby works in our dining room!


I think Mid Century shabby should be a "thing". For $20 and a little more for paint - it works! Project 1 - done! Three to go :)


1 comment:

becky said...

It's darling! I love the burlap! :)