Tuesday, July 14, 2009

thoughts on being "good"

Many, many times in my walk of faith I'm satisfied way too easily by simply "being good". This came as a revelation to me yesterday as I was reading through my daily Psalm and read David's words -

"Preserve me, O God, for in you I put my trust. O my soul, you have said to the Lord, "You are my Lord, my goodness is nothing apart from You." Ps. 16:1-2

I sat back after reading this and for some odd reason just felt terribly convicted about some of my heart/mind motives lately. Its not that I'm doing or acting in any BAD way, I'm just too content sometimes with staying on routine, doing what I should and nothing more. Then the vicious cycle begins of feeling satisfied with ME, what I'M doing and not GOD and His ultimate purpose for me. "My goodness is nothing apart from you"...David recognized that, and I want to be aware also. I think, no, I know that God brought this verse to my heart this week for many reasons...and I can't help but think that one of them is just to remind that even though I am now the wife of a pastor - goodness is not what saves people or does the BEST for them, its a genuine walk of faith... trust in God, clinging to Him always. Also, reminding me that my goodness, whatever that could mean, is nothing! It's too easy to get hung up on doing "good" things, being involved physically but not mentally or with heart or being superficial and taking the easy way with things. I want more. If I am showing goodness, I want it to be because Christ is shining through my life...

I wonder if God gets a grin on His cheek when His children read scripture and "get it"?

Meanwhile, still hanging out here in Ohio. Bradley is beginning day 2 of Jr high camp @ IRBC (http://www.irbc.org/) and I do miss him terribly. However, I'm thrilled with where God has brought us and I'm so excited to hear about what this week holds for not only the teens, but for my eager to learn and grow hubby! What a blessing to be married to a man who WANTS growth and who constantly seeks after God. I'm usually put to shame at how earnestly he seeks...I have so far to grow.


Time here with Josh, Ashley and Kaci is sweet. It's always fun to spend time with family - even more fun now with two little munchkins babbling about (one walking) and making funny noises. I do so hope Ava and Kaci get to be close cousins... no matter the states separating them.


It has been so much fun watching them interact with each other... talk, laugh, giggle. Ava loves to stare at Kaci and just crack up. Kaci loves giving Ava head hugs and kisses. They are the two most precious little girls in my life!

No comments: