Monday, October 4, 2010

Recipe : Pepperoni Potatoes

October is beautiful. Although, we DID have to turn on our heat this weekend... 58 degrees in the babes room probably not a good idea - and the blue toes proved that. We want her to be able to "buck up" but... maybe not quite yet. :)

Aside from the colors of autumn and the crisp air and fun crafts which I know I rambled on and on about last week... I LOVE the food! This month {to us} means casseroles and hearty soups/stews, special breads and all things warm and comforty. Yes, comforty. Last week to kick off the new month I made Pepperoni Potatoes and I need to share. Yes, need. My husband took a bite and literally said, "wow". And maybe you won't get that same result...but, maybe you will?! I love this meal because its a catchall casserole and incorporates some fresh and some frozen ingredients...and, oh, the cheese :) It's a meatless dish, minus the pepperoni, but definitely filling and perfect for a fall weekend (or week night!).

Pepperoni Potatoes
3 T. butter
2 T. all-purpose flour
2 C. milk
1 t. salt (I use kosher)
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. dried parsley
1/4 t. dried basil
1/8 t. pepper
28 oz. package O'brien potatoes, thawed
1/4 c. sweet red pepper, chopped
1 c. frozen corn
1 c. shredded mozzarella
27 pepperoni slices, quartered

1) In small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the seasonings.
2) In a greased 13x9 dish - layer the potatoes, red pepper & corn. Top with the white sauce from saucepan, cheese and pepperoni. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
*remember to thaw your potatoes or you'll have frozen ones in the middle of your casserole... I found this out the hard way and had to bake it an additional several minutes.

My whole fam loved this and there was tons leftover for meals the next day... and even a small amount for my lunch today again. And no, I wasn't sick of it by now... ;) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Mmm that looks and sounds delicious! I'm totally putting that on my "to try" for our menu next week -- provided baby doesn't decide to make her grand entrance before then :)