Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Loving the Little Years"


The UPS guy didn't show up until after 7pm lastnight. Is that normal? Maybe they knew how eager I was for my book to arrive? Ok, probably not. But it did make the day feel sooooo muuuuch longer. There's something so exciting about getting a new book in the mail!





A few days ago a friend of mine and fellow blogger mentioned a book she was reading called, "Loving the Little Years" by Rachel Jankovic. The titled captured my attention. I had never heard of it or the author. And honestly, right now I'm having a semi-difficult time LOVING 2yo disobedience and certain other behaviors. {Blame the sleep deprivation?} So, I thought I would look into it... so glad I did! This is the back cover....



"I didn’t write this book because mothering little ones is easy for me. I wrote it because it isn’t. I know that this is a hard job, because I am right here in the middle of it. I know you need encouragement because I do too. This is not a tender reminiscence from someone who had children so long ago that she only remembers the sweet parts. At the time of writing this, I have three children in diapers, and I can recognize the sound of hundreds of toothpicks being dumped out in the hall. This is a small collection of thoughts on mothering young children — for when you are motivated, for when you are discouraged, for the times when discipline seems fruitless, and for when you are just plain old tired. The opportunities for growth abound here — but you have to be willing. You have to open your heart to the tumble. As you deal with your children, deal with yourself always and first. This is what it looks like, and feels like, to walk as a mother with God. "


So maybe if you are a momma you can see why I wanted this read! If you click the title above it will take you to a site you can buy it from, but honestly, I got mine cheaper on Amazon. {no one paid me to say that} I was able to read through a few pages today and already feel so challenged. Just wanted to leave a few thoughts for the day from the book -


"The state of YOUR heart is the state of your home"


and


"One of the great things about having children is that you constantly convict yourself by teaching them. If you are addressing their problems honestly, and if you double-check yourself, you will almost always find a little something to think about."


Seriously excited to tear through this 102 page book about loving these special little people in my home. Now... where did I leave that wild cherry pepsi? This momma is runnin' on little to no sleep today. {yawn} Love it!

1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Definitely sounds like something I should read...