Friday, December 18, 2009

A brand new adventure...


This morning we had Ava's 1 year well-child (not well-baby anymore {sigh} ) checkup. She LOVES her doctor and LOVES her nurse even more... so the Dr's office is always a pleasant experience. Which I am very thankful for, as I know many don't share that joy. Even after 3 shots she still gave the nurse an ornery grin....good baby...er, good girl. Ava is a TALL lady. She's in the 96th percentile for weight, but for height she is OFF THE CHARTS. The Dr reassured me that her height, weight, head, etc are all proportionate and everything looks great. What a blessing! This put my, "am I doing anything right?" question to rest, for now. We thank the Lord for such a healthy, happy girl. It was an extra special treat that Daddy got to come with us today. We love our Friday day off family day. :) Btw... I had to share these pics of Ava wearing this huge scarf. She is just all about wearing things around her neck lately and it's hilarious. I think she looks like a mini-rabbi in these.
Tonight we decided to spend family night finishing our Christmas shopping. First stop was at the Salvation Army to pick up some UGLY SWEATERS....more on that, later. {hee, hee} Let's just say - we had GREAT success! Then we headed over to the mall in WDM - Jordan Creek, to be more specific. I just love that place... can't figure out why, totally, but I do. Usually when we go shopping like this we remember to pack up the stroller. But, guess what we forgot to bring tonight?! Yep. So... that big healthy 25 pound baby got carried all night. (I should be MORE in shape after carrying her so much) I'm not a huge fan of those kids play spaces in the middle of the mall. You see, I taught preschool for 2 years prior to mommy-hood and I KNOW what kinds of things end up on children's play things... I won't go there. So when I see those play places I almost throw up just thinking about. Tonight though...as I was shopping in one store....Daddy introduced Ava to the play place. (stomach starting to flip) You gotta love dads. And I know this is a good thing that he was looking for some fun for our VERY heavy/slightly restless/squirmy 1 year old. But...the germs...the yuck...the....kids that are obviously TOO big to be in here, still.... So tonight I just bit my tongue and smiled as I watched Ava crawl around like a mad woman on the squishy tree trunks, mushrooms and slides. And after a few seconds I joined them in the fun and ended up just loving that time with Ave's. :) She LOVED it. She loved the big girl slide, she loved crawling through the hollowed out tree trunk. She especially LOVED the other kids - namely, the big girl who kept trying to carry Ava and take her down the slide with her. I felt all my uptightness melt away as I just sat back and realized... she's not my little tiny baby anymore. This is my...toddler. (tear, tear) I know, I need to get a grip, but I keep having this little emotional "mommy moments" that just break my heart. Being a mom is weird. Only a mom can sit back and feel so sad about not having her baby be so little, but feel so much joy at watching her play happily. So weird. Ahem...anyway... before I become a puddle of mush...

Tonight was great. The new adventure of the mall play place was great! I managed to grab a few pics while she toddled her way around the place. I think I could get the hang of playing with this new big girl I have.... maybe. ;) And...for those of you wondering... yes we did wash our hands asap following play time, with soap and water and then a little anti-bacterial just to be safe! :)

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh, I am right there with you. What a sweet post!

beccarankin said...

Don't worry, I have those moments, too. One of them was last night as i looked at Gabi in her crib. She is so long, and her little round face is thinning out. To me, that is the saddest part. The loss of baby chub. I'm right there with you, girl! Can't wait to hear about the ugly sweaters, and I'm hoping for some pictures!