Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday Muse: Teenagers

I found this little prayer the other day by St. Francis. Let me share it with you...

"Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace -
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon ...
For it is in forgiving that we are forgiven,
It is in dying that we are born again to eternal life."
**St. Francis**


I am a youth pastors wife. My husband teaches, trains, interacts, loves, corrects, supports and disciplines teens :) So... I teach, train, interact, love, correct, support and discipline teens, too. It really is a team effort and something we don't recommend you do alone. When I came across this prayer the other day the very first line is what caught my attention. "Lord, make me an instrument of THY peace"... hmmm, could it be that God would use me to bring and make peace among people?! Is it my JOB to sow love, pardon and forgiveness? Short answer...yes :) And, oh the opportunity I have as a pastors wife to do these things. (btw, everyone has these opportunities, not just those of us married to ministry men!)
This past weekend I had about 15 teen girls and leaders over for a Christmas cookie baking, movie watching, cocoa sipping time @ our house. It...was...fun. We laughed and talked and goofed off in my VERY crowded kitchen. We had pans full of melting chocolate, corn flakes on the floor.... sprinkles everywhere...it was a blast. A couple of times during the day I almost had to pinch myself that this was really happening. 1) We were in a ministry (that we love!) 2) We have amazing teens! 3) I have such an amazing opportunity to sow peace, love and forgiveness into these girls lives! Even in the little conversations throughout the day I tried to remember this. When we talked about siblings, or parents or boys - there's always a reason/time to speak truth without sounding "preachy". So while "Elf" played on the TV and Bing Crosby sang in the kitchen, and heaps of flour landed on my dining room (carpeted) floor... God was very present, love abounded...and peace was everywhere! So, my muse on this snowy Monday is my teenagers. My girls... the ones I look forward to watching grow up over the next few years. But for now - I am so thankful to have them here in my home, in my heart, in my life. :) Girls if you are reading this... you are precious and I am so thankful for you taking in this new youth pastors wife. :)

No comments: