Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mac N' Cheese Please!

Before I share the most-awesomest-delish-mac n' cheese recipe, I need to take a look back a year ago. This is my lil girl - exactly a year apart - in pictures!


















I could easily feel very sad about a few things:
1) I kinda miss those chubby cheeks
2) Her hair was so short and baby-ish

But, instead, I praise the Lord for my big, strong, healthy 2 yr old! She has a sense of humor, she's intelligent and I'm so thankful for her! It's fun to take a look back - and just be amazed at how children grow so quickly.

The last few nights I've been having a HORRIBLE reoccuring dream about my girl. It's always starts the same and ends the same - though the details surrounding it vary a little. It's always that I end up losing my girl in some terrible tragic way. Awful. I woke up crying in my sleep TWICE last night! Ugh. Praying this dream could just go a-way! {and this miserable head cold...but, that's another post}

To take my mind off of that - I have a wonderful recipe to share with you. We had this lastnight and it was a hit! It's probably my new favorite mac n' cheese recipe. So cheesy!

Double-Cheese Macaroni

16 oz. box elbow macaroni
3 c. cottage cheese
1/2 c. butter cubed
1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper
1/4 t. garlic salt
3 c. half n half cream
1 c. milk
4 c. shredded cheddar
Topping:
1 c. dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. butter, melted


1) Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.

(oh, come on! You knew I would have to show off my newest gadget, right?! Besides, have you ever heard of processing cottage cheese?)


2) In a large saucepan, melt better. Stir in the flour, salt, white pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 mins. or until thickened.
3) Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss or stir to coat. Transfer to a greased 9x13.
4) Combine crumbs and melted butter - sprinkle over pasta. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until bubbly. (and YES, it's a heaping dish that will leak all over your oven and make your home smell like you are burning it down)


I served this with some steamed broccoli and almonds with a little italian seasoning on top. :) And, yes, I was the only one who ate the broccoli and almonds - my 2 year old took one bite and literally used the words, "yuck". SERIOUSLY, 2?


3 comments:

thebowblog said...

Maybe you already said.. but what kind of processor did you get? you like it?

The Sneaky Mommy said...

That looks so good! I always "process" my cottage cheese if I need ricotta cheese but don't have it on hand. It's a yummy replacement! I'd eat the broccoli with you--that sounds really good!!!
*Praying those horrible dreams don't come back!*

Anonymous said...

hahaah that makes me laugh about Ava, so close are the days when that will be coming out of JJ's mouth!