Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Tips & Tricks

Whew! I spent today watching 4 children under the age of 3. It was awesome and I'm so glad the Lord allowed me the opportunity -but yes, I am v-e-r-y tired tonight. :) Dinner is baking and I have a minutes to post my tips & tricks of the day.

Today's tips are taken from, "Quick Cooking" magazine, 2004. Yep - going waaay back. But, as I was reading over my recipe for tonight, the page caught my attention and there are several tips I know we could all benefit from. So enjoy :)

- Making {or attempting} a carrot cake? No time to shred bags of carrots by hand? Buy a bag of baby carrots in the produce section and finely chop them in your food processor. The processed carrots don't make a difference in the taste of the cake or the texture of it.

- Use the free calendars you get in the mail {or from random stores} to create monthly menus. I do this!!! This way you can see what your family will eat a week at a time. Easier to make grocery lists and gather your necessary coupons! Also helps with daily prep to know what needs set out ahead of time.

- Make a lot of things that call for applesauce? Tired of wasting massive jars of applesauce? Buy it, instead, in the 4oz individual serving sizes. Several brands make them now - even generic. One serving is perfect for most recipes and best of all, no waste of what you don't use!


And for the tea drinkers of the world....

- Use your automatic coffee maker to quickly make tea. Put 6 teabags in the basket, fill machine with water and start it just like you'd do for a pot of coffee. Once it's done, transfer to a tea jar and sugar to your liking. Stores nicely in the fridge!

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

GREAT tips, Mandi! Hope you're fast asleep recovering from your busy day of kiddos! :)

Marcie @ DWYH said...

That's a lot of kiddos to manage :) hope you got plenty of needed rest! Thanks for linking up your tips. Great idea about the applesauce I normally end up wasting a lot :/.

www.dontwasteyourhomemaking.com