Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tasty Tuesday :)

First, this is how my almost 3 year old says HAPPY AUTUMN...

Thank You Ava Edyn for casually taking a bit from every single one of momma's prized and treasured Gala apples. {ahem} After I was done being grumpy about it... then I got all teary eyed choked up looking at those tiny teeth marks and thinking how one day that won't happen. Ah Geez I'm such a nostalgic!



It's Tuesday and Autumn is CLEARLY present :) As I went to unlock and open up my front door this morning I saw leaves on the ground... yellow leaves! Ah, I love it! Took a few deep breaths and the day already felt amazing!


I'm sharing a recipe today that is just about perfect for this weather and season. It was new to me, tho, I'm sure others make something similar. And, I used those bitten-into apples to whip up the quickest and most delicious baked apple cobbler for dessert. Enjoy!


Simple Sausage Lasagna
1 lb. bulk pork sausage
26oz jar/can spaghetti sauce of choice
1/2 c. water
2 beaten eggs
24oz cottage cheese
1/3 c. grated parmesan
1 1/2 T. dried parsley flakes
1/2 t. EACH garlic powder, pepper, dried basil and oregano
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
3 c. shredded mozzarella


1) In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce and water, simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, in a large bowl (or kitchenaid stand mixer) combine eggs, cottage cheese, parmesan, parsley and seasonings.
3) Spread about 1/2 c. sauce mix into a greased 9x13 dish. Layer with 3 noodles and a third of the cheese mixture, meat sauce and mozzarella. Repeat layers twice.
4) Cover and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 more minutes or until noodles are tender. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. YIELDS 12.


A few clarifications on how I did this...
-Ran out of basil and used Sage instead, which, actually was great because it accented the sage in the sausage :) Yummo!
-We have never waited the 15 minute set up time... and it was fine. A little more runny, but hey, it is a lasagna!
-The recipe called for up to TWO tablespoons of Parsley, but I refrained... a certain little girl has wised up to "hidden" ingredients that are green :) Use what your family likes. It does absolutely call for DRIED parsley, tho.


Enjoy the season, the weather, and the warmth of a delicious home cooked meal!

No comments: