Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tis the season for...Mexican food?

Despite the fact that all of my ga-zillion autumnal recipes are crying out for me from their recipes boxes, magazines and cookbooks... In the Pausley home Mexican fare is on the menu quite often. Last night was just such a night.

Mexican Lasagna (in almost no time!)
1 c. chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic
1 t oil of choice
4 c. cubed cooked chicken
3 (10oz) cans enchilada sauce
2 eggs
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1/2 c. minced cilantro
12 no cook lasagna noodles
16 oz. shredded fiesta blend cheese
1) In large skillet, cook onion & garlic in oil until tender.
2) Stir in chicken and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 5 mins or until slightly thickened.
3) Meanwhile, in another bowl combine eggs, ricotta and cilantro.
4) Spead 3/4 c. chicken mix into greased 9x13 dish. Layer with 3 noodles, 2/3 c. ricotta mix, another 3/4 c. chicken mix and 1 c. shredded cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and shredded cheese.
5) Cover and bake at 375 for 30 mins. Uncover; bake additional 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand to cool and serve.

A couple of notes about this recipe:
-I REALLY like flavor. You can't leave out the cilantro! And, I personally felt like the chicken meat was lacking something...when I make this again I will cook my cubed chicken pieces in cumin, I think, or maybe chili powder. But, if you prefer a more mild approach the above recipe does the trick.
- going along with flavor - I used mild enchilada sauce...but it comes in ALL forms, including a really spicy one and even a green chili one. So, be creative and make to your liking.
-Lastly, there are no veggies in this...which bothers me. Especially when dinner is how I hide veggies in things so Brad...er, I mean... Ava will eat things :) I think this would be good with a can of corn thrown in - or maybe Hominy or.... even diced tomatoes/peppers blend.

Enjoy! Arriba arriba!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Sounds yummy!! I make a mexican lasagna, too, but it is completely different - with beef. I will have to try yours out. What is it about mexican food?!