Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lord, I wanna be just like you...

You know the song by Phillips, Craig & Dean... "I want to be just like You"? Well, it's been on my brain the last few days - random. Perhaps not. My little girl is growing up... she's doing new things, testing new boundaries, saying new words and just amazing her daddy and I. Along with all of these "new" things, I'm seeing a lot of imitations of what she see's Daddy and I do. For example, EVERY time I bake or am in the kitchen... she "helps". I usually end up giving her a bowl with some flour and parsley sprinkled in it - so she can make "soup" and she loves that! Watching her whisk that flour-y mess just warms me. Then there's wearing our shoes. She loves my black heels, daddys tennis shoes and any other pair she can manage. And, maybe my favorite... writing. She LOVES to write and draw. I started writing around 8 years old...but always had a crayon or something in my hand even prior to that. I've always loved the feeling of paper beneath my hand - ready to write out every thought on my brain. The other day I was working on the computer getting some stuff ready for bible study when Ava came with her pad and pen and propped up next to me and began imitating the way I was writing my notes. She cocked her head to the side...like me..., held her pen in the same weird way I do and mumbled under her breath like I do. It was adorable. I just stopped and watched her - she's learning so much and wants so badly to be like Me and her dad.

The first time I heard this PCD song I was in jr high. My dad was in bible college and there was often special music times on campus. A man that lived a few houses down from us sang it and was just tearing up the whole time. While I was sensitive to it... I didn't have a clue. Now I'm the one tearing up at this "old" song - and, of course, changing the words to "little girl". :) What an amazing impact and opportunity we have with our children.



"Just like You"

He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me


Lord, I want to be just like You'
Cause he wants to be just like
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You'
Cause he wants to be like me


Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness'
Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me


Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all
Lord, I want to be just like You
Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
Lord I want to be just like You'Cause he wants to be like me
Lord I want to be just like you cause he wants to be like me


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your writing, please never stop. God has given you some much talent, your words are deep and are full of truth. Love you, Daddy!