Thursday, November 4, 2010

So many reasons to THANK God

I had a really rough night from the hours of say, 11-2 and then 5-8am this morning. I've had this weird cough/phlegm thing going on for a few days now, only, it's not really days at all...always nights, always when I just want to crash in bed and drift off peacefully, always, always, always. So I hack and cough and make all sorts of hideous noises until my hubs says, "you ok? Need me to do anything?" And I sigh, "no" and wish there was something he could do. I roll over and think if I prop up a leeetle bit higher the pointless coughing will end... nope. So that was from 11-2am. Then, at 5:20 I hear a little girl talking in her bed. Ava ALWAYS sleeps till after 7/7:30. Dreaming? So I perk up and sure enough, she's kinda whining, talking and saying, "momma". So I ask Brad what time it is... 5:20?! NO way! I peek in and she's curled into a perfect ball with her hiney up in the air - arms tucked beneath her, shivering. Poor poor baby girl. I thought I could use her summer PJ's one more time. You know, the ones with a short sleeve t-shirt and silky pants. In a home where the thermostat is set to 64 tops! Wrong again. So I tucked her huge blanket up around her and she went back to sleep, whew! {still confused on how those kiddos can't stay under a blanket twice their size... but oh well} So, Ava was taken care of... but now I was fully awake and, yep, you guessed it, the coughing was starting up again. Rather then annoying my husband for the next two sacred hours of rest - I headed to the couch. And there I attempted to rest until 7ish when a certain little girl was awake again and a certain handsome guy was getting ready for work. NO REST FOR THE WEARY. I couldn't fathom moving off of that couch - did I even sleep lastnight? And, I have a very busy little one - who, if I don't get off of this couch - will take everything out of every drawer, cupboard and basket.

But, now, a few hours later while Ava is down for her nap and Brad is at work and I may {or may not} have Christmas music playing throughout the house... I'm just feeling thankful and its taken over my exhaustion. I have so many reasons to thank God today.

-my coughing is just a nagging cold
-my daughter is alive, healthy, and dependant on me
-my husband has a job to go to
-we have beds and couches to lay on when we are feeling ill
-I have a daughter
-I have a husband
-we have blankets and heat and a home, which is more then over half the world can say
and the list goes on.

Am I tired? You bet. But, so many good reasons to be tired. I'm a blessed woman and so thankful today for all that God has done in my life.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

So true. Thank you for the encouragement! Hope you feel better soon!

Sara said...

this morning while i was working on my home business Ellie got into some of Zachary's rice cereal and sure enough it was all over the carpet. I had to vaccume. And when I discovered her mess I looked into her sweet eyes and was so thankful that I had a little girl to put cereal on the floor. :)

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Mandi--I'm so sorry about your cough! I often get the same thing. My dad buys a special cough syrup from a pharmacist in our small town that has knocked me out since I was five years old. It's got codeine in it--I love it! The Hy-Vee pharmacy might have it.
Hope it goes away soon...love your thankful, sweet spirit!