Monday, November 22, 2010

Some SWEET recipes...no, really.

Two of my favorite Thanksgiving/Fall time Yummy's are: Peanut Butter Pumpkin Bread & Sweet Potato Crisp. I made both of them this weekend... and have plenty of leftovers to munch on til we head to Florida! {oh wait, that's tomorrow!} :) I'm sharing these recipes with you because 1) They are super easy 2) Always a crowd pleaser.

So, if you are looking for something sweet and new for your Thanksgiving table - here you go!

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Bread
{makes 2 HUGE loaves}

3 c. sugar
4 eggs
3/4 c. water
3 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. nutmeg
15oz canned pumpkin
1 c. oil {I use canola}
2/3 c. peanut butter
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon

1) In mixing bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, and peanut butter; beat well. Combine the dry ingredients and add to pumpkin mix; mix well.
2) Pour into 2 greased 9x5 pans. Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes. Cool 10 mins in pans, then transfer to wire racks.
*Note: I usually end up baking several minutes beyond the recommended cook time - it's a super dense bread. I test by sticking a knife in and keep baking until it comes out dry.


Sweet Potato Crisp

8 oz. Cream cheese
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. dried cranberries
2 T. brown sugar
3 c. Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
2 lbs Sweet Potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
OR 40 oz can.
1 c. chopped apple
3 T. flour
3 T. butter


1) Preheat oven to 350. Beat cream cheese, potatoes, 1/4 c. brown sugar and cinnamon with mixer on medium speed until blended. Spoon into 2 qt. baking dish; top with apples and cranberries.
2) Mix flour and 2 T. brown sugar in large bowl; cut in butter until resembles course crumbs. Stir in cereal and then sprinkle over fruit.
3) Bake 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
*Note: I used the 40 oz can of yams, generic cereal and Granny Smith apples and think that's the best combo! The flour, butter and cereal crumble on top are great...but, maybe don't need so much flour...in my opinion.



Are you hungry now? Yum! It's only 9am and I want those now... for lunch! :)
I think those two items will always be in our Fall/Thanksgiving menu somehow. I heart them.
Well, as I mentioned before, we are headed out to FL tomorrow for the week and so looking forward to some family time. And, oh yea.... the low 80 degree temps! :)
Have a wonderful, blessed, Thankful, Thanksgiving and may you and your families be blessed! And I'll leave you now with a cute little quote I read this morning that made me chuckle... yes, chuckle. I don't have wrinkles...Yet, but... the fact still remains...


"There is always a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look for it. Right now, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt."
-Barbara Johnson

1 comment:

TheMillers said...

There's as much sugar as flour! Can't go wrong there! I am going to try this- have a can of pumpkin in the pantry ready to go.