Saturday, December 7, 2013

From the heart: A Christmas craft for preschoolers

In my effort to be frugal and meaningful this Christmas - I looked through our school box to try and come up with a quick, easy, and preschool friendly craft to do with my girls. This is what I came up with and I think some grandma's, neighbors and even our trees are going to look extra special with these beauties hanging on them. :)

Here's what you need:
- Sisal, yarn, string, whatever you want to be the hanger-upper part
- Glue gun and extra glue sticks
- Kids glue sticks
- Craft sticks. We used the ginormous ones. You can use any size.
- green paint
- felt and foil pieces OR whatever you think would make simple and pretty "ornaments". 

1) The day before have your kiddos paint the craft sticks on one side with the green paint. Let dry.
Once dry, I hot glued the 3 sticks together. Glue sticks don't hold well for that part. 
2) Cut out tiny pieces of felt and foil to glue onto the dried green sticks - these are the "ornaments". Let the kids use their glue sticks to pick where they want to glue the pieces. Cut out foil stars to put at the top of the tree!
3) Mom or dad: hot glue the back of the top of the tree and use your yarn or sisal to make a loop, this will be how you hang it up. 
4) Name and date on the back. Presto! A memory made! 

The 2 year old finishing one of her trees

My girls and I are having a cozy night at home and working on this craft together was great fun. Now, the ornaments are drying and we are enjoying some special cartoons. These were some of my favorites as a child - happy to share Rudolph with my girls now.
And the wonderful hubs surprised me with THIS when I woke up from my nap this afternoon. It's been a good day. Eggnog latte = Christmas love. :)

Merry Christmas from our home to yours!

No comments: