Thursday, October 29, 2009

Words

"A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back."
"Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him."
Proverbs 29:11 & 20




Do I believe Gods word is truth?


Well, of course I do. I've been traveling this road of my salvation and sanctification these last 14 years. For over a decade I've been attending church services, youth groups, Christian camps, purity conferences, marriage get-a-ways (ok, maybe not so much that one), girls retreats, winter retreats, you name it I've done it... including 4 years of BIBLE college with the intent and purpose of learning everything I possibly could about the Bible, how to read it, how to study it, how to live it.

So then, why O why are words still a "thing" for me? Correction... "unwise, ill -timed, hurtful, disrespectful, words". WHY? You would think that after 14 years on this road I'd be one the wiser. But I have a confession... my tongue gets the best of me most days. Now, Praise be to God that every now and again I have amazing victory over it - like a good wrestling match, it doesn't come without pain... trust me, those times of physically biting down to keep quiet hurt. Or, swallowing my pride...that hurts. I know what scripture teaches about our tongues - the power it has and how can rule a life if allowed. I also know that we (as believers) have been given the power to overcome that...should we choose. So with all of this wonderful knowledge and know how, you'd think at 27 years old I'd have a better grip. But, I think my tongue is my proverbial "thorn in the flesh".

It's a daily battle. It's a daily choice, really. It seems so easy, especially as a woman, to be guided by my feelings/emotions rather then truth. And, it seems to me that I HAVE to be hasty with words in this world to get my point across....right?


Wrong.
Gods word is clear. People who are quick to "vent" or hasty to speak are called FOOLS. ouch. How many times will I deal with this issue? ugh. But, there is hope and correction for people like me...who, have a tongue. There was hope for mouthy Peter, bossy Martha and... me.


"And whatever you do in WORD or in deed, do ALL in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Col. 3:17

2 comments:

beccarankin said...

Thanks for sharing, that was convicting!

Kristi_runwatch said...

I think the tongue (along with anger - big one with me lately!) is surely one of the quickest litmus tests of whether we are wise or foolish! You hit the nail on the head - wisdom doesn't come through educating ourselves and knowing all the right things. Wisdom is wrought from a lifelong pursuit of knowing God more, fearing Him more as we learn more about Him, behaving in accord with righteousness as we fear Him, knowing more about Him as we obey Him more... and the cycle continues.

It's a good thing, because today is one of those days that reveals I have a LONG way to go! :)