Saturday, May 29, 2010

As long as she can...a tribute to little girls



"Race down this hill with me, and you'll be all right," suggested Laurie.

No one was in sight; the smooth road sloped invitingly before her; and finding the temptation irresistible, Jo darted away, soon leaving hat and comb behind her, and scattering hair-pins as she ran. Laurie reached the goal first, and was quite satisfied with the success of his treatment; for his Atalanta came panting up, with flying hair, bright eyes, ruddy cheeks, and no signs of dissatisfaction in her face.


"I wish I was a horse; then I could run for miles in this splendid air and not lose my breath. It was capital; but see what a guy it's made me. Go pick up my things, like a cherub as you are," said Jo, dropping down under a maple tree, which was carpeting the bank with crimson leaves.


Laurie leisurely departed to recover the lost property, and Jo bundled up her braids, hoping no one would pass by till she was tidy again. But someone did pass, and who should it be but Meg, looking particularly ladylike in her state and festival suit, for she had been making calls.


"What in the world are you doing here?" She asked, regarding her dishevelled sister with
well-bred surprise. "Getting leaves," meekly answered Jo, sorting the rosy handful she had just swept up. "And hair-pins" added Laurie, throwing half a dozen into Jo's lap. "They grow on this road, Meg; so do combs and brown straw hats".


"You have been running, Jo; how could you?! When will you stop such romping ways?" said Meg reprovingly, as she settled her cuffs, and smoother her hair, with which the wind had taken liberties.

"Never till I'm stiff and old, and have to use a crutch. Don't try to make me grow up before my time, Meg; it's hard enough to have you change all of a sudden; let me be a little girl as long as I can."
{Excerpt from Little Women - Louisa May Alcott}


Let them be little... cuz' their only that way for a while.

1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Love, love, love! That's one of my favorite books of all time btw :)