Ok, this was a HIT lastnight in our home! Watching my 1 year old shovel spinach into her mouth willingly just about made my day! So, yes, I'll share this recipe in hopes you can enjoy it, too.
Healthified Sausage-Stuffed Shells
24 Jumbo shells (from 12oz box) -I used Barilla
1 lb. italian turkey sausage, casings removed (well...I used 1lb pork sausage...)
2 c. shredded italian blend cheese
9 oz. froz. spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
1/2 t. basil
3/4 c. shredded carrots
25.5 oz Pasta Sauce (we used Classico's sweet Basil... yum!)
1) Heat oven to 350. Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on box, omitting salt.
2) In 10in. skillet crumble sausage. Cook over med. heat, stir frequently, until no longer pink. Drain.
3) In med. bowl, stir ricotta, 1 c. italian cheese, spinach and basil until well mixed. Stir in carrots and sausage. ( I stirred in 2 T. flax seed meal, too.... shhhhh!)
4) Spead about 1/2c. sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon about 3T. sausage mix into each shell. Arrange shells, filled sides up, on sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over the top. Cover with foil.
5) Bake 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese. Bake another 5-10 mins.
*this can be SUPER healthy if you use all organic (Muir Glen) products and stick with the turkey sausage. I just couldn't find the items at our store, but, it still tastes amazing the ol' fatty way, too! :)
Recipe from Eat Better America - really cool site with endless possibilities!