Monday, May 10, 2010

The Widows Story


Our pastors message yesterday was such a wonderful reminder to me. Lately I've been yearning and longing for truth from God's word. That probably sounds funny or odd - shouldn't I always be yearning and longing for that... ? Well, yes. But do I... sadly, no. I'm guilty of letting life and the pressures that I can't even control take over my heart and mind. But, each day God is good to draw me back to himself. Each day I feel refreshed and ready to try again. It's in the hopeless, purposeless - feeling days that I seem to grow the most. {once I'm through it}

" Soon afterward Jesus went with his disciples to the village of Nain, and a large crowd followed him. A funeral procession was coming out as he approached the village gate. The young man who had died was a widow’s only son, and a large crowd from the village was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart overflowed with compassion. “Don’t cry!” he said. Then he walked over to the coffin and touched it, and the bearers stopped. “Young man,” he said, “I tell you, get up.” Then the dead boy sat up and began to talk! And Jesus gave him back to his mother.
Great fear swept the crowd, and they praised God, saying, “A mighty prophet has risen among us,” and “God has visited his people today.” And the news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding countryside." Luke 7:11-17 (NLT)


Pastor used this as our Mother's day message. A little untraditional in the sense of not using, "Honor your father and your MOTHER", but oh so timely for this momma who needed to hear and be reminded of just how and why I can trust Christ. I won't try to exposit his message for you word for word. I will share the main points that I gathered, in hopes to encourage my readers hearts, as well. He can be trusted!
*He knows my plight! He relates and has compassion. He is omniscient God!
There was no worse of a situation then this widows. Husbandless...and her only remaining source of security/income/protection had just died...in her son, her only son. What is your plight?
"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin." Heb. 4:15
*He calms my spirit by reminding me of who He is.
"Don't cry"... beautiful words said to this widow. Jesus felt compassion and saw the hurt in this widow. The very same God who calmed this widow, those seas and storms.. calms us now.
"He calms the storm, So that its waves are still." Ps. 107:29
*He'll solve my problem. He goes beyond the knowing & calming - He solves the problem.
John 16 (all of it)
(my selection of scripture, not pastors reference)
This was probably the point that I cringed and I think a few people looked at me. oops. I'm so sensitive to staying as far away from "health and wealth" gospel that even a hint of "God will just take care of everything once you know Him"...scares me. Thankfully, that's NOT what pastor was saying. Nor does he ever, for the record. And I thank God for a pastor the speaks truth! Because, life is hard and while God is in control... not every problem may be solved in front of our eyes or in this lifetime. For this widow, though, her problem was solved and her son was given back to her. For me, for us... we have the Holy Spirit to guide and comfort us and give us direction - He gives us discretion, discernment and wisdom (if we ask!). Praise the Lord! And, oh, how many problems we DO see solved!

Be encouraged today that Christ can be trusted! Like pastor said, "At the points in my life (like the widows) where I am at my lowest, hopeless, purposeless -est GOD IS MOST HIGH and MOST NEAR. (paraphrase)

No comments: