Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bake Away...Bake Away...Bake Away

I know I'm probably the only weirdo in the state of Iowa who enjoys baking in July. And, I'm ok with that. So is my family...mostly because they get the fruits of my labor ;)

I've come across two recipes in the last week that are share-worthy. And, they are perfect for this time of year, especially when used for breakfasts! The first is Banana Nut Muffins and second is Sour Cream Blueberry Bread, which was on the Raising Homemakers blog a few weeks ago. Actually, I'm not even going to type out the blueberry bread recipe - simply click the link and you'll be taken right to it! But, I will tell you... it is... FAN-tastic! Only to add... don't use an 8x4 pan - waaaay to small and takes well over the recommended time to finish baking. Bah! Bonus - if you live near a HYVEE store, blueberries are .88/pint with coupon right now!!!

Both of these recipes have been perfect breakfasts for my little family. The muffins, obviously, are portable and quick - which, especially for Sundays is perfect for us! And the bread is filling enough (and full of enough ingredients) to feel like a small meal. :)

Banana Nut Muffins
1 1/2c. flour (I used whole wheat)
1 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. toasted wheat germ (didn't have this...used flax seed meal instead)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 ripe bananas mashed
3/4 c. milk
5 T. melted butter
1 egg

1) Preheat oven to 400. Fit 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Coat each with nonstick spray.
2) Mix flour, walnuts, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in large bowl. Stir in bananas, milk, butter and egg. Mix just until blended.
3) Using an ice cream scoop, fill muffin cups evenly with batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if desired.
4) Bake 20-22 minutes. cool 1 minute then remove from muffin pan. Cool completely on rack.

Enjoy... fellow summer bakers! :)

1 comment:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Yum! Thanks for suggesting "Raising Homemakers" awhile back. I have loved reading it and always feel so challenged to be a better mom!
Hope everything turned out yummy!