Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thoughts on youth ministry

Segregation from NCFIC on Vimeo.

This video was put out earlier this week and... I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on the topic of segregation. It kind of ruffled my feathers {obviously} as my hubby is a pastor to all of those supposed teens leaving the church... {see, slightly ruffled} but I am curious to hear your thoughts or perhaps hear victory stories in your church youth groups.

{you'll probably have to go pause my music player first....;) }

1 comment:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Hey Mandi-
I've heard of Voddie Baucham's Family Driven Faith, and the more and more I read about it, and the more and more my husband {non-vocational youth workers} and myself experience with different teens in our youth group, the more I am, along with others, CONVINCED that youth ministry is not JUST the job of youth pastors and leaders....it is the job of the PARENTS primarily, and youth pastors and leaders are there to support, but not "life support" their teen.

We have a group of parents whose kids are experience growth on a summerly basis at camp, and then drown in their public schools the entire rest of the year. We have had parents {CHRISTIAN parents} say to us "You know, you just do the best you can, and believe God's word and in the end...it all will turn out okay."........REALLY?!?! Is that what Deuteronomy 11:18-21 says?!? I'm pretty sure it gives explicit instruction on HOW to instruct your kid--and that's ALL the time!

Coming from a youth group of 25, not even 10 years ago....there are now 5 of us in Bible preaching churches now. 20%. I'm not patting myself on the back at all, but stats don't lie, my husband's high school youth group is the same margins. In a day in age where we're spending more money than ever before on teen ministry.....we need to figure out what youth ministry really needs to look like--and I firmly believe that it MUST include parents.
(unchurched teens are a different discussion...I mean all of this for churched teens)