Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Have you heard? And, some recipes.

Have you heard Downton is back on? Well - at least in the UK.
A few weeks ago a fellow blogger posted a link to watch Downton Abbey SEASON 3 in the UK when it aired, on the 16th. I spaced and totally forgot to plan for it... oh well, there is more to life. I'm not sure if you can watch it re-run style yet, but, thought I'd share the link in case you can. Check that out here if you are fan... and just itching to know what happens to THESE two. :) By the way, thank you Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom for the link! We love you!

And please accept my apologies for any crude or just plain gross side bar commerical things - whatever they are called - some can be inappropriate {to say the least}. I, in my limited internet abilities, don't know how to rid them. 

Have you heard of Nascafe's newest product...Memento?
Yum. I'm enjoying a Mocha Memento right now as we speak, er... type. They are instant coffee which I do turn my nose up at usually - but, for some reason I really enjoy these. They are quick, delicious, and even have the frothy yumminess you'd get from a coffee shop. :) Even my black-coffee-only-loving husband enjoys them. Ah, if I only I was paid to say all of that - but alas, I am not.

I'm ending this post with a few recipes that we've tried out recently. With this 60 degree weather this momma is aching for soups, breads and all things fallish-creamy-fatty-goodness-ish. Which, funny how "comfort foods" seem to ease all comforts minus the one on the scale... hmmmm. But, seriously, we have had some yummy things lately and I'm all about sharing!

Favorite Salisbury Steak
For the patties:
1lb ground beef {xtra lean if you can}
1/2c unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2c milk
1 egg white
1/4c fine chopped onion
1t worcestershire sauce
1/4t salt
1/4t pepper

For the gravy:
3/4c beef broth
1/4c beef broth in addition (or, dry red wine if you use it)
1T cornstarch
1/4t dried thyme
Jar mushroom {however, you know we don't even go there} 

1) In medium bowl combine all patty ingredients: mix gently. Shape into 6 oval patties, about 3/4in thick.
2) Spray skillet with nonstick spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add patties and cook 3 mins each side or until browned. Remove patties from skillet and drain if necessary.
3) In small bowl combine broth {and wine if used}, cornstarch and thyme; blend well. Pour into same skillet. Cook over low heat until mix boils and thickens, stir constantly. {stir in your mushrooms if used} Return patties to skillet. Cover; simmer about 15 mins or until no longer pink inside.
*I served this with mashed potatoes and corn! Good all American meal.

Beef Stew
1 1/2lb beef stew meat cut into cubes
5T flour
1t salt
1/2t pepper
1T oil
1lb small, red, potatoes, quartered
1 1/2c frozen pearl onions
1lb package fresh baby carrots 
12oz jar beef gravy
14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4c cold water

1) On waxed paper, sprinkle beef with 2T of the flour, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add coated beef; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until browned.
2) In 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker, layer potatoes, onions and carrots. Add browned beef; sprinkle any remaining flour (from the coating step) and browned pan bits. Top with gravy and canned tomatoes.
3) Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. About 10 minutes prior to serving, blend water and remaining 3T flour until smooth. Stir into stew. Increase heat to High, cover and cook 10 mins.
*We didn't include the pearl onions because... that's a battle I just will not wage with a 3 year old. And, we totally skipped step #3b - just ate it before whipping in that extra flour. Just as good. :)
*Serve sprinkled with some sharp cheddar.

Have a wonderful Tuesday! If you, like me, are enjoying these cool temps - keep on enjoying. I hear we may hit 80 again tomorrow :/

1 comment:

Sandra said...

You are so welcome :) I know many want to watch Downton Abbey and not have to wait until January.

You're able to watch all the previous seasons and the news on that website :)