Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chapters, faces, thoughts and Spaghetti.

How's that for a subject?! :) Yikes. Brave you for even daring to read on...

CHAPTERS:
Have you ever read something that strikes you right to the core? I have these moments from time to time and had one here recently while finishing the book, "The Furious Longing of God" by Brennan Manning. In lieu of  watching tv after dinner last night - I planted myself in the over sized chair in the corner of the living room, turned on the Nook and read. {Gasp!} The norm unwinding activity in our home... is not always that. At least, for me. I just like to turn the ol' gray matter OFF for awhile. But, as I continue to read and stick with my goal of a book a month - er... so... I'm finding how much I'm enjoying the learning. There is something to learn in every book. Of course that sounds elementary, but, you know what I mean. Plus, hubs had brewed a pot of coffee and nothing goes better with hot coffee then an oversized chair, good book, and an afghan blanket. :)
In this book, the chapter titled "fire" - I was gripped over this paragraph:
"Jesus Christ has irreparably changed the world. When preached purely, His word exalts, frightens, shocks, and forces us to reassess our whole life. The gospel breaks our train of thought, shatters our comfortable piety, and cracks open our capsule truths. The flashing spirit of Jesus Christ breaks new paths everywhere. His sentences stand like quivering swords of flame because He did not come to bring peace, but a revolution. The gospel is not a children's fairy tale, but rather a cutting-edge, rolling-thunder, convulsive earthquake in the world of the human spirit."

Man. That's MY God! While it sounds like I'm nuts... I'm so thankful for the cracks over the head I've taken here recently that have allowed mending...from the Holy Spirit. New growth and newfound truth. Jesus, He changed the world... and we can't NO WAY fall back into what we have been saved from. What a great reminder! 

FACES:
Our church, as seems to be the usual and wonderful... has welcomed in multiple baby faces in the last few weeks. 4 in one week, actually! It really is amazing to be a part of a church that is growing leaps and bounds, literally. One particular little gal, we'll call her "E" just takes my breath away. :) She is so tiny and delicate. Born at 4 pounds she really is HALF of what I'm used to giving birth to. So so sweet. It would be a lie to say holding this peanut I was totally capable of ignoring my baby itch... ;) The whole time I was holding "E" my girls {who look ginormous in comparison...} were going nuts. Augs kept holding out her hands and saying, "hold it, hold it". New faces. New blessings. 

THOUGHTS:
Speaking of blessings. These two - 4 and almost 2... how rich they make our lives. It is a never ending learning process. 
Recently, I find them playing like this. Snapped this pic for the 10 minutes it was happening. Busy playing and pretending separately but together :) I'm learning I can't force sisters, but can encourage their relationship. I long for the day when I hear them giggling together in play, dressed up in silly clothes, or pretending to be mommies. I never had a sister so I have NO clue what's in store here. I'm eager. 

August turns two in May and how that always kinda burns me on the inside, when a baby grows up. She is still so small and needs me so much. I'm thankful for that. We still rock and sing before bed and she still quite regularly finds her way smooshed in between daddy and I in the early morning hours - snug as a bug... content. I can't stop kissing her smooshy face and noticing every detail. She's precious and sweet and loves her momma. And my Ava, so smart at 4 years old. She challenges me at every turn and honestly I forget to hug and kiss on her because of the fight she puts up. She needs my kisses. I need to let loose and be silly. Preschool hasn't gone as smoothly as my brain had imagined, and that wears on me. She uses the words, "I know" all the time... and I can now understand why my mom HATED that when I said it. {sorry, mom!}
Ava is also wanting to talk a lot of about Jesus, His return, heaven and all things bible. Can I be honest and tell you how my knees shake when those conversations start?! "Am I doing this right?!" always comes to mind. Counseling with teens is a million hundred times less intimidating then trying to answer solid questions for a wondering 4 year old. Wow. Momma needs to STAY in the word and ready every moment. 

Oh, Joss & Main... your emails daily, multiple times in my inbox... 
I do so enjoy the beautiful things you sell. I do not so much enjoy your prices. However, I happen to enjoy a good thrift store find - and plan on recreating this very look somewhere in my home, come Spring time. :) How cute is that!?

SPAGHETTI:
I had the opportunity yesterday to take a meal to one of our new-baby-families from church. Baby boy is about as gorgeous as they come! {continue baby itch...} I spent the entire afternoon working on some from-scratch spaghetti sauce and meatballs. Nothing says comfort to me like a big pot of hot pasta and yummy sauce. While I do hope they enjoyed it... I can say, my family DEVOURED it. {yay for making a double batch!} Here's a no fail recipe!
Sauce -
29oz tomato puree
28 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
1 c water
6 oz tomato paste
1 T brown sugar
1 T dried minced onion
1 T dried minced garlic {or granulated}
1 T dried oregano
2 t salt 
Meatballs-
1 slice bread
2 T milk
1/2 c seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t pepper
1/2 lb EACH ground beef, veal and pork {I used 1lb beef and 1/2lb bulk sausage}
2 T olive oil
3/4lb bulk italian sausage
In dutch oven, combine first 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, stir occasionally. Meanwhile, place bread and milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add the crumbs, egg, salt, oregano and pepper. Crumble the meat over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1 1/2in balls.
Brown meatballs in oil in a large skillet. Add to sauce and simmer 20-30 minutes or til cooked through. Brown remaining sausage and add to sauce. Stir well. 


Happy Tuesday! 

No comments: