Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter Candy loses.

It just sits there...and sometimes I think I hear it calling me.
Delicious peanut-buttery, chocolate coated, gummy, fruity, goodness. It's real name is Easter Candy.

That's why I am so thankful for my Tuesday morning study/accountablity gals :) Because it's Tuesday and the candy starting yelling at me the moment my feet hit the kitchen floor! But I resisted! There is something in knowing you will give an account - as if I didn't already before my Father God. {sigh} Oh flesh, you wicked.
Instead I settled for a hard boiled egg, in a nice shade of red, courtesy of my children. Protein! And, I didn't feel like sleeping my life away come 10am.

Our chapter studies today were focused on using accountablity to help you stay focused, and, remembering the promises of God in moments of weakness. Something that is so important - remembering these bodies are not our own - we belong to God. This theme keeps coming back to me in multiple areas of life, I'm happy to see it in the dieting realm, as well. TRUTH!

The story of Esau and his crazy heat-of-the-moment decision to give up his birthright was a topic of conversation today. How insane for us today to think about this. This man was so hungry and focused on stew that he gave up his birthright!?


29 "Once, Jacob was preparing a meal when Esau, exhausted, came in from outdoors. 30 So Esau said to Jacob, “Let me have the whole pot of red stuff to eat—that red stuff—I’m exhausted.” This is why he was called Edom.
31 Jacob responded, “First, sell me your rights as firstborn.”
32 “I’m about to die.” Esau said. “What good is my inheritance to me?”
33 “First, swear an oath,” Jacob said. So Esau swore an oath to him and sold him his rights as firstborn. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau a meal of bread and lentils. He ate and drank, and then he got up and left." Genesis ch. 25

Oh how we {I} judge Esau on his decision. What a dummy! Give up your inheritance for a lentil stew? No way! But upon deeper reflection - I'm just as guilty, it just looks a little different. Give up a good run of self discipline in eating for... 3 bite size snickers. Forget my committments to eat healthier for... a full fat mocha. Sure, I'm not losing any inheritance or standing in my family, but, I'm not being true to my word and I'm definitely not practicing self control - the fruit I was given at salvation. The object becomes the master and all else flies out the window. Yikes. So maybe I'm more like Esau then I like to believe. Desperation breeds degradation - this was our conversation. 

That candy is still sitting down there. But, it has lost all day. The voices are hushed and I'm remembering the Holy Spirit power that gives me VICTORY! Onward we march! 

*our study book is "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkuerst, fyi. 

1 comment:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Wow -- never thought about Esau in that way! Very insightful!

And...I may or may not have picked up a couple of those Reese's eggs pictured above on clearance at Target today....