Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It bit me.


The HOLIDAY bug. Got me good this morning as I was tidying up, had my yummy candle burning White Pumpkin and my Scentsy melting Oatmeal cookie... One thing led to another and I had the crazy idea of getting out my "sweets" recipe box and looking through recipes to try out for another wonderful Holiday season. For the record - that starts now. Today. Because honestly, if you don't at least start to prep and plan and enjoy by now... don't you feel like it just flew by and you missed it altogether?! No longer will I live that way. The last few years I have started celebrating in October {for Autumn, prep for T-giving, and even some trick or treat for the Ave's}and feel like the autumn months are such a joy. :) We have our pumpkins and leaf garland decorating the front porch and our lawn is a lovely yellow as the leaves continue to fall on this rainy, gray, very wonderfully fall afternoon. {love} Thank you Lord for showing me these beauties.

Back to the recipe box. Two years ago I went from having one very dependable recipe box - to needing two. You see, I had enough sweet recipes to fill it's own space. So, one box for savory meats, pastas,  side dishes, etc. and one Vera Bradley recipe box for all thing sugary, sweet. :) Wanna know what I have picked out for our cell group tomorrow night? Glazed Cinnamon apples and Pumpkin Spiced Gingersnap Truffles! And I'd love to share the recipes with you now.


Pumpkin Spiced Gingersnap Truffles
1 1/4c semisweet chocolate pieces
1/4t vanilla
3/4c gingersnap cookies chopped (about 10 cookies)
1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4t pumpkin pie spice {CRUCIAL TO USE THE REAL DEAL}
1/2c whipping cream
1/3c finely crushed gingersnaps (about 7 cookies)

1) In medium bowl combine chocolate, pie spice and vanilla. In a separate medium bowl {Micro safe} place whipping cream. Microwave cream for 70 seconds or until begins to boil. Pour cream over chocolate mix. Let stand 5 minutes then whisk until smooth. Stir in chopped gingersnaps. Cover; chill 1 1/2-2 hours or until firm but soft enough to form into balls.
2) Place crushed gingersnaps and cocoa in two separate small bowls. Using a small spoon or scoop, scoop 1T portions of truffle mix and shape into a ball. Roll in crushed gingersnaps or cocoa powder to coat. Chill additional hour or until firm. 

Glazed Cinnamon Apples
6 lg Granny Smith apples {peel, core, cut into 8 wedges}
1/2c light brown sugar
1/4t nutmeg
1T lemon juice
1/2c sugar
2T flour
1t cinnamon
6T butter, melted

1) Place apples in a slow cooker; drizzle with lemon juice.
2) Mix sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl. Sprinkle mix over apples - stir gently to coat. Drizzle with butter.
3) Cook on low 3 hours or high 2 hours. 
*serve with ice cream, pound cake, or... my fave - cream. :) 


Have a sweet day ;)

1 comment:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

YUMMY!!! Bet is smells amazingly delicious at your house today!