Monday, December 3, 2012

Luke 1 - the anticipation.

 
{source: google.com, images}

I never get tired of the story from Luke chapter 1 in God's word. It's another one of those God stories that proves over and over that truly "nothing is impossible with God". Elizabeth, barren for her entire life at this point, is told by God that she will conceive and bear a son - who will be John the Baptist. And just like Sarah in the OT, she was not a young woman - in the prime of child bearing years, but as it says in the word, "advanced in years." 

But for now I want to focus in on the description of what her son, John, will be like. (Luke 1:13-17)

"But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John.  And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.  For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.  And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God.  He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’[a] and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”


This morning I was so challenged and reminded by the last part of that paragraph. John's role in life - "he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God, ... "to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.. " While this verse is VERY specific to the readers of that day and addresses the target group as specifically Israel - this mom heart was still encouraged on one point - MAKE READY A PEOPLE PREPARED FOR THE LORD. As the days go on and I raise my children I'm so challenged by that. Am I raising my children and teaching them the greatness of the Lord, and preparing their hearts to know Him? 

As the Christmas season rolls on, what great opportunities to teach and share the story of Christ - coming to earth as a baby, growing up as a child, and then dying for our sins as a man. This season lends to anticipation, something children "get" all too well. They anticipate gifts and goodies and seeing grandparents far away - so how can we build in that anticipation about our God? I'm reminded today of just how great a task I've been given and I'm motivated to be creative with how I prepare my little ones for the wonderful day that is Christmas.

No comments: