Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Haul out the Holly....."

 
Go on, sing it. December 1st and the Christmas season is fully upon us :) I feel like I've been waiting since July for this time to come. Tonight I'll head to our local church for the ladies Christmas event - Rejoice! I spent a good part of the day yesterday setting up and decorating some tables, and will share some pics after I take some tonight. :) I look forward to this event every year - such a blessing to be a part of a church that teaches the gospel and guides us to keep our minds on track during this time of year. Which, brings me to my main point...

Keeping it simple. 

My home decor this year is low key and lovely {at least to me}. I did a lot of greenery, mini trees, etc. Things I already own.
The Four Gift RuleOur gifting will be simple and to the point. Nothing excessive. Thinking of doing the "four gift rule" idea for my children.

I'm doing a lot of home made and kid created gifts and baked goods. Which I know Grandpa's and Grandma's will love better anyway!

Buying groceries to eat at home and planning to eat at home instead of resorting to overspending in a pinch when we are out and about. {minus last night's impromptu visit to Ted's Coney Island}

Last night we took our girls to the Capital downtown to watch the tree lighting ceremony. We had never gone and weren't sure what to expect. Let me encourage you to really seek out these kinds of opportunities. Not only was this FREE, but there was a local high school choir singing carols, FREE hot cocoa and Christmas cookies, and the Governor was there! Hubs shook his hand! The huge tree being lit was the icing on the cake for me. :) A special memory and something hubs and I both agreed would become a new family tradition for us. I enjoyed the light crowd, too. It started at 5:30 so not many were there - but, it was already dark so the tree lights were lovely.
While my husband would have preferred a more decorative tree, microphones for the singers, etc. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the evening. It seems the older I get the more I enjoy the simple things in life. Small treasures. Memories of performing Christmas carols with my high school choir, a warm pre-winter night outside, watching my children think we were doing the coolest thing ever, mini cups of hot cocoa, other families with young children taking this same opportunity and soaking it in.

The Lord is so good to give me those moments of calm and joy. My heart, as I shared recently, has been so weighed down with chaos all around me. I'm reassured again and again at the beauty found in simplicity. Today we ring in December 1 and remember who we celebrate this month.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.” John 1:1-2, 14

1 comment:

Angie said...

I loved this post! I think you have the right idea on enjoying a simpler holiday. Christmas is so commercialized and out of control these days. I myself am wanting a simpler Christmas.

We missed our town's tree lighting ceremony. We were going to go but I became very sick. It made me sad :(