Monday, March 22, 2010

My brain is going to explode

Well, that's a pleasant title, eh?

But, it IS how I feel. I'm learning so much right now {and all at once}... about faith, God's provision, theology and sound doctrine, how to be a wife, how to mother a daughter, roles and responsibilities... the list goes on and on.

This last week I was bowled over with two specific acts of kindness and generosity. Just completely left with head spinning and overwhelmed. And, maybe I shouldn't be... because these things DO happen all the time - but, they just especially touched my heart and left me challenged.

See this gathering of shoes....
Ava was in a big need of shoes. We had a pair or two of sandals for this summer...but, I could NOT find affordable black dress shoes or "get dirty" tennis shoes anywhere. {why exactly are baby shoes $13-15 dollars, again?!} Anyway, a friend sent this bag o' baby girl shoes home with Brad one day last week. I had only mentioned my frustration of shoe shopping in passing... but she took it and ran with it. I was completely overwhelmed with her generosity and thoughtfulness! Ava's shoe collection has been filled. Another need met. Praise the Lord! The humbling part of it is... I had this little secret half fear/half stress in the back of my heart of this need for my girl, but, I hadn't even gotten to start praying about it yet. And... as always... my God provides!

Story #2 - I'm a pastors wife. Pastors wives, generally, and their children arrive at church separately from the pastor. And in our case... this is true. Brad leaves for church about 30 minutes before we do. So that leaves me the glorious responsibility of not only getting myself fed, clothed and readied...but, a little Ava girl, too. Not to mention that before both of those things we fed, clothed and readied pastor daddy ;) Anyway, sometimes {ahem...many times} Sunday mornings become SUPER stressful as the crunch is on to get everyone ready and to church ON TIME. I usually end up arriving right at 9 as church is seconds from starting... managing a diaper bag, purse, bible, coffee mug, child and endless amounts of other things belonging to her - and in the winter this is combined with HUGE winter coats, hats, scarves, gloves, and the whole 9 yards. Needless to say - it's tough. I'm getting better at it, but, still tough.

Yesterday as I pulled into the church parking lot (5 minutes EARLY) I was followed by another couple from the church. I don't know them very well, yet, but we have chatted a few times and they are super friendly, love the Lord...and their grandkids. :) I parked the car and began the "Great unloading" process. Set all of my bags, bibles and mug on the back of the car and then went to retrieve Ava. Upon popping my head back out - I noticed that the wife of this couple was walking towards us. She grabbed my stuff and began to tell me that she knows what its like... to be a mule. ;) How cute is that?! So I was just blessed beyond what I could express to her, for this help! And she carried my stuff all the way inside and even to the nursery. The family of God, when behaving as they should, is a wonderful thing. :) This woman, just like my friend with the bag o' shoes, saw a need and filled it how they could. Isn't that so challenging? It is to me!

"Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ " Matt. 25

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am terrible about leaving comments on other people's blogs..but I couldn't pass this one up. I am constantly blown away by the generosity of God's people and how God uses others to meet my needs over and over again. God knew that you needed that tangible reminder of His presence in your life this week. He is so faithful!

Jessica J.

becky said...

What great blessings! Makes me want to be that woman to someone else! I have those same black dress shoes (the ones on the top row) for Hannah and had to pay $10 for them at Walmart...it killed me...but we so needed black shoes! So glad that you were blessed in that way...I know that you will enjoy them! :)

Unknown said...

Oh Mandi, what wonderful blessings... God is so good. Isn't it amazing how He so lovingly meets our needs. I can relate to you in so many ways on this post. How we worry about the simple needs of providing shoes for our children. Yet God knows our every need. One of my favorite passages is Matthew 6:25-34.

PS. I totally hear you on the Sunday thing... it was refreshing to hear that I am not the only one who struggles that day. Sunday is by far the most stressful day of the week for me. Doug leaves for church by 5:30am and usually comes home at 8:30pm (sometimes he will come home for lunch). Which leaves me to get myself and the boys ready and to church on time... not once but twice! The Lord has really been convicting me about my attitude on Sundays. Which I should be convicted of! It should be a day of rejoicing not a day that I pray no one confronts me until I have at least had five minutes to take a few deep breathes! :)

Tiffany said...

Oh God is so good and so faithful!! I love that you noticed His blessings and acknowledged them as just that!

We actually have one working vehicle at the moment, so we go in to church early with Jim. That is rough, too! I learned a long time ago, to lay out all of our clothes the night before and make sure they are ironed the night before. I also pack the diaper bag the night before and put it by the door. That really does help.

Anonymous said...

I have to say my heart has been super blessed by peeking for the first time on Pausley Land Adventures!! Ok, so honestly you've made me cry-mean to do that to a pregnant lady who's up past her bedtime:)
Mandi, you have been a blessing to me already in these few short months and I pray for you daily as you and your dear hubby minister to my brothers.
Thank you for your ministry and all the sunday chaos, smelly, loud, snack-eating monday nights, etc, etc! love ya:)