Wednesday, March 10, 2010

St. Pats = Spring!!!

I don't know about you but I am eager with a capital E for Spring! Our yard is 90% cleared of the snow and the other 10% may get some "help" from us this weekend. ;) This is a fun time of the year...birds are out and singing. I actually have a little woodpecker family in my tree out back which I ADORE - they, along with our little squirrel family seem to have made themselves quite at home in our tree. I feel like Captain Nature as I gaurd them AT ALL COST from the neighbor kids.

I've missed blogging the last few days - but, I've been knee high in painting jobs, child rearing and just life in general. I'm happy to report the kitchen is almost complete and only needing some trim above one cabinet! Pics soon! Anyway, back to Spring...

Starting NOW I am making a life change. And it may sound super un-important to some of you, and that's ok {we're all wired differently}...but, my guess is some of you will agree and this might encourage you to do the same. I want holidays to be special in my home. My mom was a pro holiday celebrater. We had saurkraut/pork in honor of New Years day.... decor up for the 4th of July, and just about every other holiday - even the small ones. And I've been so very slack about bringing "Special" inside to where we live. The days pass and it does become very hum-drum or mundane. And, life will be like that sometimes... but, since I'm home and I CAN do something about this now - I plan on it...starting with St. Pats!

My clover shaped cookie cutters are ready and our St. Pat's meal has been planned. Corned Beef and cabbage! I'm hoping to use a crock pot recipe... after seeing how long good ol' Betty Crockers recipe takes. Got any?! I'm also planning on making some Irish Soda Bread and possibly some fun green sparkling drink for our St. Pat's dinner! (all of this by next week) That's the food portion of the fun... which, is my favorite and is easiest for me. But, I also want to do something for some indoor decor and I'm open for ideas. I would love to use my leftover terra cotta pots to make some kind of irish-y topiaries... or, maybe some candle holders or something. I just desire so much for our home to be one of little celebrations of life - the good things God has given us. And while we aren't Irish or catholic or any of those things... we can still celebrate the fact that GREEN Spring is on her way!

So, what about you out there? What are your ideas for St. Pat's, Spring or maybe Easter?
mmm... I can smell the corned beef already...

2 comments:

becky said...

Mmm....I LOVE celebrating holidays! For St.Patty's I make Irish beef stew and soda bread...both are SO yummy! We are not huge cabbage fans...but since it's on sale...I do make a creamed cabbage and hamburger dish during the week of St. Patty's too. I love decorating for holidays but have the least amount of St. Patty's decor. Right now...I have a green table runner that has daisies on it on the table with Daisies (from my wedding :)) in a pot as the centerpiece. Funny story..the "table runner" is actually a fabric piece that my mom made for me to use at skyview for a curtain in the office when I was working as the program assistant :)...now I just use it as a table runner :) Have fun celebrating holidays and making memories with Ava! I look forward to seeing what ideas you come up with!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I agree! I'm a holiday junky...if you can call it that! Today was Johnny Appleseed Day! I love making holidays extra special for our family! Seeing the kids' excitement and joy makes all the extra work of getting the details accomplished totally worth it! I'm really in to colors, so we'll have as much green food as possible...natural or colored!