Friday, March 19, 2010

Really, Really, good book

I can't even give a full review yet...but, I just had to share a few thoughts from the current book I'm reading. I've mentioned it a few times already, but, every time I crack open the pages I'm convicted and driven to scripture and truth. It's that good. "Passionate Housewives, Desperate for God" is the title and you definitely can't judge a book by its cover, or, back cover in my case. Both of the authors, Stacy and Jennie, are mothers of multiple children. Not 3 or 4... like 7 or 10. They both, in every picture I've seen of them, are wearing skirts or something of the sort. And, they both homeschool their 7 or 10 children. All...of...them. So, at first I didn't think I would be able to relate or even get into the "groove" of the books offerings. I have 1 child, I'm new to the homemaker thing, I prefer my comfy sweats or jeans to skirts and dresses and... homeschooling has yet to become a "passion" of my heart - more like, a terror. (well, beyond kindergarden anyway...) But, I yearn to serve the Lord in my newfound role and this book was FREE from an online source so I wanted to give it a shot. God always knows what we need, doesn't he?!

The last few days I was working my way through chapter 7 titled, "The search for a "Stepford" Husband". This chapter tackled the topic of the ever growing popular trend of the metrosexual, effemincy that is increasing in men today. She pointed out even our tv shows push it into our homes with shows like "Queer Eye" and even the majority of the "design" shows and evening sitcoms. Most sitcom dads are pushovers who don't lead their families but are belittled and strong armed by their bossy, all knowing wives and teenagers. And we laugh about it. I know I'm guilty... one of my favorite shows has been "The King of Queens" - and after reviewing this topic through scripture I see even more clearly how un-funny it is that Carrie treats her husband the way she does...and it's the norm. Reminder: I'm not here to condemn or condone my own opinions...just sharing what I'm learning. Anyway, the chapter just went on to share several good points about the role reversal that seems to be happening more and more in our world (specifically our country) and then gave scriptural support against turning our men into "softies" and women into "bruts". One example was Isaiah 3:1-12 where in vs. 12 one of the judgements was that women would rule over them. Another being Judges 4 where Deborah addresses the cowardly men of Israel. Eeek... scary ground to cover here. But true! And, maybe at some point I'll get more into that topic...

But, the benefit of this chapter to me was when she addressed us as women and what our role is. I need to be reminded of this constantly, so it seems. My attitudes and sinful heart desires pollute my mind so often. I really liked this paragraph from yesterday -


"I don't have to go out and earn money to keep a roof over our heads and come home to take care of the daily housekeeping tasks. My husband shouldn't have to do double duty, either. When I am consistently and faithfully fulfilling my responsibilities, my husband is free to do the things he was created to do."

How true is that?! How on earth do I justify my attitude and expect my hubby to carry a double load while I put my feet up and eat bon-bons? (ok, for the record... I've never had a bon-bon, so, maybe a York pepp. patty!) She goes on to encourage me that,
"Scripture shows us that a man who is supported and aided by his capable, submissive wife grows in honor and ability... No one can point to an out-of-control household behind him and dismiss his advice."

Seriously, I need to read this everyday, and take SERIOUSLY the high calling God has given to Brad and then to me in our home. This book (that directly points to scripture in almost every paragraph) is being used by God to change my life, my worldview and my relationship with Bradley. I'll end this post with one last challenging paragraph and some scripture to think about.

"The beauty of following our biblical roles is that wives not only get to fulfill the Dominion Mandate with their husbands in different but equally important ways, but they are able to present to the world a picture of Christ's bride, the Church, at the same time.
Christ is the Head of the church - not her slave driver or her sugar-daddy. The bride is joyfully joined to the Head, Who has "raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the Heavenly places (Eph. 2:6). This is the beautiful paradox of the gospel: the last shall be first, and the least shall be greatest (Prov. 25:6-7, Mark 9:35)."

4 comments:

Kristi Stephens said...

Mandi, I've heard such good things about this book!!!

FYI, Kelly from WisdomBegun is starting an online discussion group for it, if you're interested: http://wisdombegun.com/2010/03/01/passionate-housewives-desperate-for-god-study-group/

If you ever have the chance, I HIGHLY recommend Barbara Mouser's Five Aspects of Woman course. AWESOME. Changed my life, changed our marriage.

p.s. thanks for putting up the Redeemed button!

beccarankin said...

It sounds so good! Glad you're enjoying it! God does know how to hit us where we are at!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Mandi, between you and Amy @ My Front Porch Looking In, my Amazon basket just keeps finding itself full of must-read books! This one sounds so good, so practical and life-changing! I always find when I'm striving to follow Christ's pattern for wives, I'm so much less desiring of watching tv sitcoms!
Thanks for another title!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Wow, this book sounds really good!

Dave and I have often commented the very same thing about King of Queens -- the roles portrayed in that show are just SO opposite of what God intended!