Tuesday, December 14, 2010

...dawdling...


Dictionary.com refers to this word as...

verb (used without object)
1. to waste time; idle; trifle; loiter: {"Stop dawdling and help me with these packages!"}
2. to move slowly, languidly, or dilatorily; saunter.


I am claiming that my dawdling lastnight was more of an option #2... only, not languid, because I def had spirit and vigor... Holiday Spirit! But it was slow and calm - just as I'd hoped it would be.

A friend and I decided to sneak out after out little ones were down for bed and head to Target for some Christmas shopping. I am still picking up little things here and there and was especially excited about the prospect of walking the Target aisles with my HOT peppermint mocha. As anyone who attempts to shop with children knows:

1) You don't really get to walk the aisles, it's more of a marathon race to get the objects and get out asap. Usually.
2) Mochas...{if you get one with your children}... very often end up chilled prior to even your first sip. Or, in my case, spilled all over the cart onto the box of diapers, new neices outfit, etc. Teaching you to NOT attempt a hot mocha with children in tow {or cart}.

But, anyway, lastnight was a childless dawdle through Target with a friend. The time was much needed and though I'm not usually one for "late" nights... I was surprised how refreshed I was just being out and about having some girl time. And, BONUS, I found so many gifts I needed... and, there was hardly anyone there so no lines! Second bonus: did YOU know that Monday is kids clothing mark down day @ Target? I didn't. We bumped into another gal we knew who let us in on that info... and it turned out to be true.

We walked just about every aisle and looked at kids toys, clothing, makeup, shoes and accesories, underwear, home improvement things, baskets and bathroom towels, mops, nail polish and curtains - all the while sipping our drinks and chatting about life and ministry. It was wonderful! Having a friend is wonderful. I'm learning as I journey on down this "mommy road" how important it is to take a few hours out now and then to get refreshed, be a friend, and push beyond your comfort zone. {in my case...not going to be at 9pm} This morning I feel like a better wife and momma. I feel like I'm refilled and ready to go - I'm re-motivated. God's word talks about times like this, too. Did you know that?


Proverbs 11:25 "The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed."


Philemon 1:6-7 "I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people."


Romans 1:11-12 "For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours."


So, see, in this hustle-bustle, busy time of year...
a little dawdling is not so bad. ;)

1 comment:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I'm so glad you got some dawdling time! It is always refreshing and encouraging!!!