Friday, December 3, 2010

A Friday Fa-la-la-la-la

We've had a pretty, slightly rough week here adjusting back to life in Iowa. Ava took several days to get back into a normal sleep routine (wasn't expecting that), we are super busy with ministry stuff (expecting that), and have been having several toddler firsts that we don't care to experience seconds with. I'd like to jot down last nights experience so as to not forget... not that I ever will... nor will the people sitting near us.

Brad came home from work and the plan was to suit up and head out for dinner and then to conquer our Christmas tree - tho it may be fake, still must be conquered. So off we went. Ava and I both got an excellently long afternoon nap and she was in a great mood, so I didn't even think twice about bringing an "activity" for the restaurant. She can normally busy herself with straws or coloring pages or whatev. Well, we are in the place not 5 minutes when she starts whining... just whining. I can handle that most days. We speak some corrective words to her and she shapes up. {whew} We order our food and then... all choas broke loose. I still can't put my finger on what the trigger was, if there even was one, besides being almost 2. Our darling, precious, offspring began to wail and cry and scream as loud as she was physically able. Now, I'm somewhat used to that and have learned how to stay calm, etc.... my spouse... well, he's not around it so much. So, we both tensed up. Our order was in and at this point people are starting to watch us - says my spouse - I didn't notice. After a daddy/daughter trip to the bathroom for a "talk" they were back and she was LOUDER, if that was possible. I tried two more methods which usually are sure-fire fix-its and neither worked. Hubs decided we needed to leave as this was unfair to all the lovely people sitting around us gawking. (as if they've never gone through this!) So he scoops up the screamer and I stay behind to pay the bill and collect our heavenly-scented uneaten meal. What a temptation to this pregnant momma! I threw a look of apology at everyone who would catch my eye {there weren't many}, collected our things and hustled it out of there. I find my daughter in the foyer smiling and happy as a clam because some random stranger that was coming in to eat gave her a stuffed lady bug toy. Lovely.


Long story short - no dinner, no tree, crying daughter, weepy momma - early to bed, the end.


It was not a good night. I so had my heart set on the tradition of getting our tree, the special dinner out, decorating, etc. I just couldn't get on top of my emotions and when we got home just sat in the van and cried a few seconds. What a new stage we are in.


Today has been much better. I even had some time tonight to set up some Christmas decorations around the house. We dont' have many... but what we do have means so much to me.

This was my idea for the built in this year. I'll add some gold bulbs once our Christmas program ends at church tomorrow...using them there. Found the letter-art at TJ's last year on clearance for like $3!
My precious mini-tree. My mom made the skirt!
I found these two fun stocking on sale @ Pier One last year after Christmas and snatched them up! They were less then $5 a piece and very much our style.
{yep, still no big tree...please note the void}
And, the rest of our Christmas stuff is in a heap on our dining room table - not speaking to me. I'm ok with that. And, I'm out of ideas right now, until our ladies event is over. :)
Tonight I read a quote that has stuck with me - something my heart so desires - and what I hope to be in my family first. I know I have so much work to do...
"Welcome Home! That's what I want my life to say to everyone whose path crosses mine. I want to create an atmosphere of serenity and joy, blessing and belonging, that embraces people and draws them in - that makes them feel loved and special and cared for."
-Emilie Barnes

2 comments:

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Ohhh Mandi...totally feel your pain. We had our first public tantrum before Thanksgiving. I just wanted to crawl into a hole. It sounds like you handled it well though!

beccarankin said...

Isn't it so hard to get used to your plans getting ruined? I've seen over and over again how selfish I am. Your tears have been my tears many times. Glad things are going a little better. Can't wait to see your table!