Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Putting it all together

This morning I can't shake the deep thoughts. Which is good. And, I don't really even try to shake these kinds of things really. While cleaning my girls rooms I thought about them and what they need, who they are, who they will be. I was reminded with each toy placed back in the bin, each dress hung back up, each tutu stored in the dress up closet... that this job is intense. Sometimes it paralyzes me. I'm their mom.

I read an article last night put out by the Gospel Coalition on teaching our children Civility. Ye-ouch! Ah how my heart was convicted. And you know, I thank God for that each time. What a mighty God to care about us so much that He sends His Holy Spirit to convict and work on us. Amen! Would you take some time to check out the blog post? Just click here. :)

In other thoughts -
I'm reading through 1 Kings right now. I love it. In college when I knew a speaker was going to go through that book {or any of those Kingly books} I tried to be front n' center. The storybook type reading just seems to click with me - I can picture myself in the story. Funny how maybe that's even the point. :)
Today, however, was about Solomon's building and building and building some more. I'm not a contractor or engineer....so, reading about cubits and inches and what not maybe wasn't "awesome". All the same its just really encouraging, if nothing else, to read of Men of God who were following His plan! I see the parallel in my own life so often and I am continually reminded, still, of David's challenge to Solomon before he died:

"When David was about to die, he instructed his son Solomon,  “I’m about to leave this world. Be strong and mature.  Fulfill your duty to theLord your God. Obey his directions, laws, commands, rules, and written instructions as they are recorded in Moses’ Teachings. Then you’ll succeed in everything you do wherever you may go." 1 Kings 2


The civility article mentioned above drew me back to thinking about this passage last night. David challenged Solomon to be mature, fulfill what the Lord had called him to, obey really in all things. Though David was not a perfect father - he was the "man after God's own heart". He knew that above all things that leaving this legacy of faith and character in the Lord was what really mattered. And I want to be that kind of parent for my daughters. I want our faith in the Lord, how we treat the people in our lives, how we LOVE to be such a focus. I want to bless my children with an example of civility - not for the sake of civility - but to glorify the Lord and lead my children to Him! In this way we will see success!

I guess what I'm trying mostly to say here is - how thankful I am when the Lord pieces these things together in my heart and mind. Days of learning things seem to be woven together beautifully over time.

No comments: